Tours
Bra a lively town of the “Granda”
It is said that Bra as we know it today originated from the move of the inhabitants of a near village called Pollentia (Pollenzo) but ever since the Neolithic period the presence of our “ancestors” is a certainty. The heart of its lively center rich in shops, stores, promenade is represented by the irregular piazza of Caduti della Libertà where the bronze monument dedicated to Cottolengo and the church of Sant’Andrea dating back to 1682 stand. The façade of the church is ascribed to Guerini . Despite the remarkable frescoes of the domes and of the impressive nave and aisles, eyes are caught by the imposing altar. Many are the artists who frescoed and decorated the church. In particular, the nave and the aisles are ascribed to Gian Lorenzo Bernini even if without any evidence. The Town Hall, surely attributed to Vittone, is a fine example of Baroque while up ahead Palazzo Traversa animates the style of via Serra both with its fine Gothic architecture and with its mullioned windows. It presently houses the Museo di Storia dell’Arte of rich in Roman artifacts and relics which were found in the archeological sites of Pollentia (Pollenzo). The Santa Chiara church, designed by Vittone, is located at the end of via Barbacana and has a magnificent Neo-Classical portal and a Rococo façade. 

The Greek-cross plan interior is animated by the many domes which complete the church’s lateral arms. The Museo Civico “Craveri” established in 1860 by the Craveri brothers is a few steps away in via Craveri. A not to be missed place and one of the most important in Piemonte is the Museo del Giocattolo located in via Guala. There, more than 1000 toys found and collected by the antique dealer Michele Chiesa are shown. On Monteguglielmo, a hill clearly visible from every part of the town, there is an octagonal building called Zizzola which is the symbol of the town and hosts exhibitions and shows. A remarkable characteristic of this place is its enlightment.

Bra – besides being a lively town of the “Granda” (in Piedmontese dialect, the Cuneo area is called “La Granda”) is also an irresistible centre of taste and good flavours. For those who are keen on salsiccia (a type of sausage mainly made of pork meat) a visit to try the wonderful salsiccia of Bra made with first-class beef only is really reccomended. This speciality is connected to a Royal Decree dated 1874 which allowed the Jewish community of the town and of the neighbouring area to eat salsiccia without breaking their religious rules. In the end, a few words on cheese. Bra offers very good D.O.P. (PDO) cheese and remarkable types of soft and hard cheese with different maturing period which bear the name of the town. Don’t forget “Cheese” the International biennial event organized by the town of Bra and Slow Food which represent an excellent showcase for the Italian cheese.

Bra a lively town of the “Granda”

Tourism in Bra

Palazzo Mathis
Piazza Caduti della Liberta’, 20
12042 Bra (CN)
Tel. 0172 430185
Fax. 0172 418601





Events
Cheese (September)

Highlights

Logo Langhe.it